15/11/2016 0 Comments
Winterizing Tips to Prevent Costly Vehicle Repair in Calgary
Summer is quickly coming to an end, which means the fall season is around the corner. Before you know it, winter will be here and many of you may be scrambling to prepare your vehicle for the cold Albertan weather ahead. Freezing temperatures can cause certain parts of your car to wear more quickly and make driving more difficult.
Prepare your vehicle for the first blast of winter weather by ensuring your transmission gets the proper maintenance it needs in order to allow for safe driving.
Consider the following tips to help make sure your vehicle is equipped to handle the low temperatures and Alberta’s rough winter weather:
- Replace old windshield wipers with a new set for good visibility when driving.
- Get winter tires on in good time before the first snowfall and keep them properly inflated to ensure optimal traction as you drive.
- Ensure your battery is in good shape.
- Inspect your cooling system – check the radiator and heater hoses for any cracks, leaks or contamination from oil or grease. The hoses should be replaced if they feel brittle or overly soft.
- Prevent your car doors from freezing up by lubricating the lock with a silicone spray or door-lock lubricant.
- Protect the inside and outside of your car. Dirt and salt can compromise your car’s paint finish. Give the car a fresh coat of wax before the snow hits and wash it regularly during the winter months.
- Let the engine warm up before you begin driving in winter.
- Always keep your gas tank at least half-full in the cold weather to help prevent your vehicle’s fuel lines from forming moisture and freezing up.
- Be sure to maintain consistent oil changes with the correct engine oil viscosity grade for your vehicle.
- Keep an emergency driving kit in your trunk in case a situation turns extreme while you are out in the winter. Windshield wiper fluid, an ice scraper, a small shovel, fuel line antifreeze and booster cables are all helpful items to have with you.
Prepare Your Car for Winter and Save on Car Repair in Calgary
The snow can wreak havoc on your car if you neglect to prepare it for Calgary’s harsh winter season. Taking simple measures now can help you avoid expensive repairs and a potential breakdown later. National Transmission, an industry-leading automotive service company since 1978, can help ensure your vehicle is properly equipped to handle the winter weather. We can provide you with a free road test evaluation of your car’s overall condition, as well as the appropriate corrective service with parts that meet or exceed original equipment manufacturers’ (OEM) specifications. Our team of skilled and certified mechanics are dedicated to providing customers with the best value through high-quality products and superior car repair in Calgary.
Contact National Transmission today to keep yourself, your family and others safe on the road this coming winter with proper car care and repair services.
We have several locations in Alberta for your convenience. Call 403-320-0447 for Lethbridge; 403-291-1514 for Red Deer; 403-526-6458 for Medicine Hat; 403-243-6114 for South Calgary; 403-291-1514 for Northeast Calgary; and 403-283-6615 for Northwest Calgary.