17/10/2016 0 Comments
When to Use a Rebuilt Transmission: Is It Right for You?
For most consumers, the idea of something new is always more appealing than something used or refurbished. When it comes to replacing your vehicle’s transmission, you may be inclined to think a brand new one is better than a rebuilt one. However, before you dismiss the idea of a rebuild, you should consider the pros and cons of a rebuilt engine.
Assessing the Pros and Cons of Rebuilt Transmissions
New is not always better, especially when it comes to a vehicle’s transmission. While there are some advantages to a new transmission, there are even more advantages to opting for a rebuilt version instead. Here are just some pros and cons of a rebuild:
- Pro: Your Current Transmission is in Sync - The transmission your vehicle was created with is already in harmony with the engine. Transmissions are not a one-size-fits-all solution; instead, they are intricate systems that incorporate complex details from your specific model and vehicle type. When the transmission is out of sync, which is possible with a “new” transmission, you may have gear shifting issues.
- Pro: Rebuilds are Cost-Effective - Compared to the cost of a new vehicle transmission, a rebuild will always be cheaper. Also, not all “new” transmissions are actually “new.” Instead, they are rebuilds that are just factory rebuilt instead of privately rebuilt.
- Pro: Rebuilds are Up-to-Date - A “new” transmission could have been rebuilt years ago, which means it does not have the latest updated parts like a recent rebuild will have.
- Pro: Your Engine Performance Will Improve - Rebuilding a transmission will restore your engine’s compression, which means you will notice more power and better performance.
- Con: You Will Have to Wait - A transmission rebuild is not done overnight. Sometimes they are done within a few days, while other times it can take more than a week. That being said, you may wait just as long for a new transmission to arrive from the factory.
If the cost of the transmission rebuild exceeds the value of your car, then a rebuild or replacement would not be a wise investment. Instead, it would be more cost-effective to replace the vehicle altogether.
Finding a rebuilt transmission in Calgary is easy with National Transmission. We will improve the performance of your vehicle, and with our economical rebuild solutions, you will be able to repair your car at the best possible price. Book an appointment for a transmission rebuild in Lethbridge, Calgary, or Medicine Hat today by calling one of our locations or schedule it online.